When getting dentures for the first time, most people don’t realise there are a number of denture types available to choose from. Here are the four main types of dentures you need to be aware of:
- Full Dentures – These dentures are for replacing an entire row of teeth, whether it’s for your upper arch, your lower arch or both arches. These dentures can be removable or fixed. Most full dentures use an acrylic base, and teeth replacements are made of acrylic or some type of These dentures are ideal for patients who have several teeth missing or damaged.
- Partial Dentures – Unlike full dentures, partial dentures are designed to replace only one or a few missing teeth. They can be removable or fixed into place, and they are manufactured using a variety of materials.
- Implant Retained Dentures – These are a type of fixed dentures that use permanent dental implants to hold your teeth replacements. These implants are fixed directly on your gums, providing superior stability and retention. If you want dentures that always stay in place, implant retained dentures are for you.
- Immediate Dentures – These dentures are often used as temporary teeth replacements after teeth have been extracted. They’re designed to fill any space left by missing teeth, helping you avoid going out with gaps in your teeth while waiting for your new dentures. Immediate dentures can be either full or partial dentures, depending on how many missing teeth you have.
Special Variations of Dentures
Now that you know the main types of dentures, you’ll find it easier to explore the many variations available. Many of these variations build on the main types of dentures above but improve them with better materials, manufacturing techniques, and design processes.
Some of the special dentures we offer here in Denture Health Care include:
- Digital Dentures – CAD (computer-aided design) and CAM (computer-aided manufacturing) technologies are used ot create these dentures. Using these computer technologies, we can build dentures to match your exact specifications to provide superior fit and comfort. And because we use digital measurements for these, we can re-create your dentures easily in the future if you need it.
- Abe Lower Suction Dentures – These are a special type of full dentures used to replace the teeth in your lower arch. An innovative technique developed by Dr. Jiro Abe in Japan is used to create full lower dentures that provide maximum stability and suction. Full lower dentures are known for being unstable and difficult to achieve a full suction on, but this revolutionary technique has changed this.
- BPS® Dentures – These dentures are made with the Bio-functional Prosthetic System (BPS®), a comprehensive denture manufacturing system that involves using specific products, instruments, techniques and processes for denture construction. It’s designed to create the highest quality dentures every time, ensuring the best in fit and comfort for every patient. We use this system for all our denture indications here at Denture Health Care, so you always get the best set of dentures possible.
Need Help Choosing the Right Dentures?
If you’re not sure which dentures are right for you, book an appointment with our team to find out. Our denture professionals will help you explore your best options and determine which type of dentures will suit your needs and budget.