How to clean your dentures
Step one in responsible denture care is ensuring that your dentures are clean. Follow this handy guide to keeping your dentures clean:
- Remove them after eating and give them a good rinse. You want to run your dentures under a tap and remove food particles and anything else that’s going to get in the way of them. Put a washer in the sink so that just in case you drop your dentures you’re not going to risk breaking them. Hold your dentures carefully so that you do not damage them.
- Clean your mouth after you have taken out your dentures. You will need to use a soft toothbrush to clean your mouth and to ensure that you do not hurt your mouth.
- Brush your dentures daily to ensure you are keeping them free of plaque and other food deposits.
- Soak your dentures overnight. This is to make sure that they keep their shape. You can keep your dentures in water or a mild denture cleaning solution.
- When you put your dentures back in your mouth in the morning, you should give the dentures a good clean and a rinse.
- Get regular check-ups with your denture health professional.
General tips and our top dos and don’ts
Taking your dentures out and putting them in
Your dentist or denture specialist is going to show you how to take out and put in your dentures. Make sure you ask them plenty of questions (or give us a call if you’re having troubles) and make sure you’re comfortable taking your dentures in and out before you leave the clinic.
- Never force your dentures.
- Be gentle, and take your time ensuring a good fit.
Chewing with your dentures
Your new dentures might feel strange but take your time with them. You want to be gentle and start with soft foods before you move up to things like steak! Take small bites and be sure to take your time chewing. Try and chew with both sides of your mouth at once if you can.
- Be tender with your dentures and treat them with more kindness than you would teeth.
- Take small bites and make sure you are being gentle with your teeth.
Maintenance of your dentures
In addition to your denture maintenance and cleaning as outlined above, you also need to ensure that you follow these tips:
- Clean your dentures and all relevant surfaces daily
- If you find that your dentures have build-up on them, you can soak your dentures in a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water.